|Systems Engineer - Linux|
|US - California - San Francisco (HQ)
|IT- Systems Engineer - Linux
Location: San Francisco, CA - HQ
Description: Salesforce.com is the enterprise cloud computing company. Our portfolio of Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications, including our award-winning customer relationship management (CRM), has revolutionized the ways that customers manage and share business information over the Internet. Salesforce.com has evolved from a startup founded by four people in a cramped San Francisco apartment ten years ago to a company described by Barron’s as “the fastest growing business software company in the world.” With more than 5,000 employees, over $1.7B in annual revenues, and over 87,000 customers worldwide, we are proud to contribute to the success of companies of all sizes, in all industries, around the globe. According to Gartner, 25% of all software will be deployed via the cloud computing model by 2011. No matter how you slice it, the future of software is cloud computing. Consider joining the cloud computing leader, Salesforce.com, and be part of the team that is creating this future.
As a Linux Engineer in the IT organization you will join the team responsible for designing, building and maintaining innovative infrastructure solutions that support the needs of our Salesforce.com employees. This includes, but is not limited to: UNIX platforms, virtualization, systems management, design, architecture, capacity planning, and DR. You will be involved in IT infrastructure projects that will optimize current services as well as deploy and integrate new technologies for the global corporate IT environment. You will interact with various engineering and operational teams. The Senior Systems Engineer will contribute to the overall success of the engineering organization by providing recommendations and key insight into the technological path of Corporate IT.
· Participate in ongoing technology evaluations and keep up with technology trends and industry standards.
· Operate as a technical expert on infrastructure projects pertaining to virtualization, Linux platforms, systems management, design, architecture, capacity planning, and DR.
· Design, configure, and automate the deployment of our VMware and Linux infrastructure through our existing Kickstart/Jumpstart infrastructure
· Perform infrastructure service design and implementations, performance analysis and optimization, monitoring and problem resolution, upgrade planning and execution, and process creation and documentation.
· Continually analyze and work to improve quality of services offered by Corporate IT
· Ensure new infrastructure technologies are adequately tested and integrated with other Infrastructure and Application Services.
· Optimize or re-design existing infrastructure services as needed.
· Ensure service availability & reliability of infrastructure services.
· Building and managing Development, Test, and Stage environments.
· Suggest improvements based on technology, best practices, or changing requirements.
· Provide regular management updates on advantages and potential opportunities for new technologies and automation.
· Establish close working relationships with Infrastructure Operations and Project Management.
· Assist Infrastructure Operations with testing & implementation of new technologies and/or services including methods, policies and procedures for installation, management, monitoring and support.
· Work with and manage outside consulting technical subject matter experts as needed.
· Help resolve complex IT issues in a Tier 3 capacity.
· Train/Mentor junior staff members as appropriate.
· Bachelor's Degree
· 5+ years of broad IT work experience including administration, engineering and architecture in Enterprise environments with over 4000 users
· Strong background in virtualization architecture, including significant depth in server, and application virtualization.
· 4+ years of experience of VMware ESX, vSphere, and SRM administration
· 4+ years experience with managing large VMware vSphere infrastructure
· Experience in using vCLI/vSphere SDK for Perl and Powershell for automating and configuration of ESX and vCenter hosts
· Experience in utilizing auxiliary vSphere components such as VMware Update Manager and CapacityIQ
· 4+ years of RHEL Linux/UNIX System Administration experience
· 2+ years of experience with CentOS, OEL or similar distribution
· Experience with mission-critical services and applications in a global enterprise environment
· Good understanding of Linux/UNIX OS theory and fundamentals.
· Ability to solve problems quickly and automate processes
· A solid understanding of an operating system; understands paging and swapping, inter-process communications, devices and what device drivers do, filesystem concepts (inode, clustering, logical partitions), can use performance analysis to tune systems.
· Experience with configuration management tools, such as Puppet, Chef, CFEngine, etc.
· Strong scripting skills; familiarity with bash and object oriented scripting languages such as Perl or Ruby
· Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and balance conflicting demands
· Customer service oriented with strong interpersonal and leadership skills
· Excellent time management and prioritization skills
· Self-motivator who can run with tasks and projects on their own
· Great oral and written communication skills
· Ability to work well and collaborate with other teams of various skill levels
· Strong analytical skills coupled with technical creativity and vision
· Experience with Red Hat Network Satellite for provisioning and patching
· Solid understanding of Linux/UNIX Security theory/practice
· Experience with supporting Database infrastructure, especially Oracle RAC
· Good understanding of basic network protocols, including DHCP, DNS and sPXE
· Experience with SAN multipathing using DM-MPIO and EMC PowerPath
Salesforce.com will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Would you like to apply to this job?